Minecraft Forge is a modding API and the full name is “Application Programming Interface”. Accordingly, Forge is the necessary connecting part that connects Minecraft with mods. Similar to a train, which is connected to additional wagons by a coupler.
By the way, the first release was already in July 2011, at that time still under the leadership of Spacetoad. Today a whole team is working on the new updates. The work of the Forge team gives many modders new features, which allows them to change Minecraft extensively. But it also offers you some advantages, because thanks to Forge you can install as many mods as you want. Problems like incompatibilities are reduced to a minimum.
History of Minecraft Forge
From the very beginning, there has been a large Minecraft modding community. However, at that time the installation was even more complicated. Most of them used ModLoader. This software was necessary because some mods changed the Minecraft programming code directly. As a result, one mod was rarely compatible with another, which was not user-friendly from today’s point of view. Therefore the ModLoader was used, which allowed the simultaneous installation of different packages.
But this was not enough for Spacetoad, because he wanted to add new content to Buildcraft. More precisely he wanted to add oil. If he would have published his own mod for it, there would be a high probability that both mods are not compatible with each other. To prevent a game crash, Spacetoad created the project Forge.
The basic idea of this project is that the Minecraft files are no longer edited and modified as before. In plain language, Forge is responsible for the modification of the files. So the modder does not have to modify the game files himself. Subsequently, more and more complex mods were added to the game, which are always compatible with each other because of Forge.
Shortly afterward, the hobby programmer Eloraam joined the project. He added some functions, which were mainly needed for his own Redpower Mod. Pretty soon the original developer Spacetoad didn’t have the time to take care of Forge anymore. So LexManos took over the work. Also, cpw joined, which is responsible for the Forge Mod Loader (FML). The purpose was to replace the classic ModLoader and ModLoaderMP with a modern solution.
Interesting is the fact that Minecraft Forge itself was once dependent on the original Modloader. So up to Forge version 1.2.5 there were some steps to do for a complete installation. Compared to today, this is almost unimaginable, because today, the installation is a real piece of cake.
In fact, until the beginning of version 1.2.5, Forge contained only some useful features for modders but did not load mods itself. Fortunately, this has changed. This required some work in the background so that Forge no longer needed the Modloader. Now, this API uses its own FML to load mods.
In the course of time, FML and Forge have been merged into one big project. In the end, you can see that the team has changed over the years of development and some very helpful features have been added. Because of the continuous development, you don’t need any previous knowledge to install Forge anymore. All you have to do is run the installer.
In conclusion, you can be really happy that you don’t need several programs to play a Minecraft mod anymore.
Best Forge features
By the way, it is possible for each modder to submit new features because the whole project is open source. Therefore this computer program has become more and more extensive over time, which may cause confusion for you as a newbie. That’s why the best Forge features are shown here.
- First of all, you should take a closer look at the update checking system. It is really easy to understand. Whenever you see an emerald in the Minecraft menu to the right of the Mods button, a new update is available. Then you can navigate to the overview of all installed mods and see which mod needs an update. Usually, you will see a download link that opens your browser to download and install the latest version.
- Another important function is the so-called dependency management. This is important for modders. It allows them to tell Forge that another mod has to be installed to make everything work properly.
How to install Minecraft Forge API
In preparation, you should make a backup of Minecraft. Otherwise, your saved settings could be deleted if you make a mistake during installation. It will take you about four minutes to install Forge.
- Choose the right version. First of all, you should choose the right version. If you are playing with Minecraft version 1.19.4, then you need the appropriate Forge version that is compatible with that version of the game.
- Run the downloaded .jar file. After you have downloaded your preferred Forge version from the table, you will get a .jar file. Normally you only need to click on the file to start the installation. Sometimes you have to right-click on the file, then click on Open with… and select Java(TM) Platform SE binary.
- Decide the type of installation. At this point, you have to decide whether you want to install the client version or the server version. You should select Client if you plan to install Forge API for yourself. Logically you should select Server if you want to install it for an online server. You can also change the file path. Normally the path is already set correctly. Then click on OK.
- Finish the installation. Before you can continue with this step, you have to wait a moment. This is for the simple reason that your computer needs a short time to install all the necessary files. Click OK to finish the installation.
- Select the Forge profile. At the bottom left you can select any of your Minecraft profiles. In this case, you choose the newly created Forge profile. Then click on Play and Minecraft will automatically load the API files. If this profile is not available you should check if you have done the previous steps correctly.
- Take a look at the new options. In the Minecraft main menu, you can now see various information in the lower left corner. Besides Minecraft Realms the new menu item Mods has been added. Furthermore, you have the possibility to open the configuration file via the .minecraft/config folder. There are a lot of settings, but you need a lot of previous knowledge to set them correctly.
Below you will find all the download links from the official website. At the top, you will find the latest version that had the best test results. So far there has not been a player who got a virus by downloading Minecraft Forge. Your antivirus program should therefore not detect any harmful content.
[1.19.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.18.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.17.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.16.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.15.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.14.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.13.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.12.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.11.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.10.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.9.X] Download Minecraft Forge
[1.8.X] Download Minecraft Forge
Forge is compatible with these Minecraft versions: 1.20 – 1.19.4 – 1.19.3 – 1.19.2 – 1.19.1 – 1.19 – 1.18.2 – 1.18 – 1.17.1 – 1.17 – 1.16.5 – 1.16 – 1.15.2 – 1.15 – 1.14.4 – 1.14 – 1.13.2 – 1.13 – 1.12.2 – 1.12 – 1.11.2 – 1.11 – 1.10.2 – 1.10 – 1.9.4 – 1.9 – 1.8.9 – 1.8 – 1.7.10 – 1.6.4 – 1.5.2 – 1.4.7 – 1.3.2 – 1.2.5 – 1.1
|Progress:||Operating systems:||File size:|
|100% complete||Windows, macOS, Linux||6.55 MB|
Common problems and solutions
Most players do not experience any problems. However, there are always players who report the same error messages. Here you can find a small list of the most common problems and the appropriate solutions.
Low FPS with Forge
It is very annoying if you get low FPS when using Forge. To avoid future lags, we do not recommend using high-resolution Minecraft texture packs. If this is not enough you should play in windowed mode instead of full screen. In case of an emergency, it is necessary to uninstall your mod.
Sometimes Forge crashes when you install a mod. First, take a look at the crash report that is automatically created when Minecraft crashes. There you can see which of your mods was responsible for the crash of Forge. Unfortunately, you have to delete this mod. Often the reason for the crash is that the mod is not compatible with your Minecraft version.
Forge crashed on the server
This problem occurs when you play a mod that adds new blocks or items. A server must have the same mod installed for you to be able to use the new stuff. Exceptions are things like a minimap that usually works on servers.
Minecraft Forge FAQ
Forge is available for every Minecraft version.
Forge is an API. If you like to install mods for the Minecraft Java Edition, you need Forge to avoid problems.
You can download the latest Forge version on the official Forge website.
Start the installation wizard after downloading. The installation will start automatically. But before you start, make sure that you have enough free disk space. Then start Minecraft and select the Forge profile.
With Windows, you click the keys Win + R at the same time. In the search bar type %appdata% and then click on the .minecraft folder. Search the folder “mods” and move your mod into it.
Finally, it should be mentioned that Minecraft Forge is connected to GitHub. This gives you the opportunity to help out by contributing your own ideas or reporting bugs that you’ve noticed. To submit a new idea, you must create a pull request. This allows the developers to review your code and maybe use it in the next update.
Nowadays almost every existing Minecraft mod is developed for Forge. What is your favorite mod?
Leave a Reply